the boys

the boys

Sunday, November 27, 2011

What am I thankful for?

Of all the Thanksgiving stories and good times with family, there is one that sticks out in my mind.  Sticks out.  Ha!  That will be funny to you in about 4 minutes.

Justin and his 6 year old cousin, Brett, are buddies.  Justin thinks Brett pretty much walks on water.  It's all "Brett said this" and "Brett said that" and "Brett has one of those" or "that's what Brett told me." 

They pretty much stick together anytime we are at Mimi and Pappaw's house.  Playing, wrestling, coloring, and building tinker toys.  They have so much fun, it really shouldn't (and can't) be interrupted. Not even to take a crap. 

That's right.  They even have to be together in the bathroom.  Thanksgiving day is no different.  I asked where they were and Claire's report is that they are in the bathroom together.  I take it in stride.  I checked on them briefly.  Justin was doing his thing.  Brett was walking around the bathroom just shootin' the bull with him. 

But then.....well, the first clue that something was amiss was that young Reid comes walking out of the bathroom with a look of horror on his face.  I guess Reid felt the need to be in on the bathroom action.  His hand was covering his mouth.  His eyes were wide.  I asked him what was wrong but he would only shake his head and glance over his shoulder towards the bathroom. 

So I venture into the bathroom.  Brett is hovering in one corner, squatted down, hand over his mouth a la Reid.  His eyes are equally as wide.  He silently points to Justin. 

Justin, my brave child, fesses up for the group. 

"It was an accident!!  Brett threw the Tinker Toy stick and it landed in the potty.  SORRY MOM!" 

The looks on their faces were priceless. 

So I ask myself:  Self, what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?  And the answer is:  I am thankful for my dad who fished the tinker toy out of the potty.  Good ol' Pappaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment