the boys

the boys

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Road Signs

Back in the olden days my family used to pile 15+ people into 3 cars and drive for 2 days to Daytona Beach, Florida for summer vacation and to see the Daytona 500.  Yup, every summer.   Later on we did it with some family friends, the Houghtons.  Four adults and 4 children.  It was awesome.  Of course I wasn't one of the adults so I probably didn't mind being crammed into a car for 2 days as much as they did.  The good years were when we had a station wagon and could lay down in the back, spread out, play games, wave at passing cars, etc.  We were not concerned with seat belts or car seats.  There was a lot of laying in the floorboards and in the back windows.  Climbing from the "hump" in the front seat to the back seat.  Gosh I LOVED riding on the hump in the front seat.  That was like the prime spot to see everything! 

I've got some really great 8 mm videos from my childhood of those trips.  My parents converted them onto DVDs for us a few Christmas's ago.  I am amazed at the number of people we have crammed into the cars!  Some really great memories! 

Anyway, this was clearly before the age of cell phones or even the good ol' bag phones for the car.  The only way to communicate when someone had to stop and use the bathroom (which was often with young children) was to slow down or speed up to pass the other cars in our procession and hold up signs saying "Need to pee"  or "need food" or "need gas" or "ready to move the kids to your car."  I don't know if they actually had that last one but I'm thinking I would have if I were them!!

Today on my way home from work I was thinking that I would like to have a little stack of flash card type signs to hold up to various drivers. I think you know where I'm going with this.  And once the idea got rolling in my head it started to really take shape.  This is a new age.  A new century.  Hell, it's a new millennium.  And thus, the signs must roll with the times.  They will be laminated for safe keeping.  Perhaps 3 hold punched with binder rings so I can easily flip through them.  Color coded seems like a good idea.  But organization can only get you so far.  It's the words that will make this plan work.  Here's what I have in mind:

"I SEE YOU PICKING YOUR NOSE"
"IT'S CALLED A BLINKER. LEARN IT.  LIVE IT.  LOVE IT"
"SORRY MY HUSBAND IS RIDING YOUR ASS"
and the follow up to that one:
"SORRY MY HUSBAND JUST FLIPPED YOU OFF.  WE WILL BE FIGHTING ABOUT IT FOR THE NEXT 25 MILES"
"I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THE NUT SAC HANGING OFF OF YOUR TRUCK AND TIE IT AROUND YOUR NECK"
"I DON'T THINK YOUR HANDICAPPED STICKER IS DOING YOU JUSTICE"
"I DON'T REALLY CARE THAT YOU GAVE ME THE DEATH STARE AS YOU DRIVE BY"
"PUT YOUR KID IN A DAMN CAR SEAT"
and just for good measure....because I think it is timeless:
"READY TO MOVE THE KIDS TO YOUR CAR"

anyway, it's just an idea I am tossing around.  I am very open to suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. wow....I am sure I have used a million of these in my lifetime. I have a little road rage, if you didn't notice...but here go some of my own I think you might enjoy:

    HEY IDIOT, DO YOU KNOW YOU HAVE HAD YOUR BLINKER ON FOR THE LAST 10 MINUTES AND YOU HAVE NOT TURNED YET?? MAYBE IT'S TIME TO TURN IT OFF.

    I AM LATE FOR WORK WHICH MEANS YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THE FAST LANE, YOU DUMBASS SO I CAN SPEED.

    HOW DID SOMEONE AS UGLY AS YOU LAND SUCH A HOT GUY SITTING NEXT TO YOU?

    HONK IF I LOVE JESUS? JESUS LIKES PEACE AND QUIET - TAKE THE BUMPER STICKER OFF YOUR CAR.

    I MAY BE FAT BUT YOU ARE A BAD DRIVER, AND I CAN DIET.

    YOU JUST CUT ME OFF AND NOW I WANT TO REAR END YOU. LEARN HOW TO MERGE.

    How's that??

    ReplyDelete