the boys

the boys

Monday, November 15, 2010

Mama's Boy


What is a mama's boy? Wikipedia says it is a term for a man who is excessively attached to his mother at an age when men are expected to be independent

The definition goes on to say that in recent years, some have begun using the term in a milder sense, merely meaning a man who is emotionally attached to his mother. Though this sense of the phrase is still uncommon compared to the original pejorative intent, mothers in particular may state their pride in their "mama's boy" sons. It is also occasionally used to describe an infant or toddler son who is unusually attached to his mother...In this sense, the 'mama's boy' designation carries little stigma, but is simply an observation of the young child's primary attachment.

Well, my friends, I gots me a mama's boy. And just in case there is any confusion, I am talking about Leo :). He looooooves his mama. And I looooooove him right back. I wouldn't say that I identify him as a mama's boy with pride as Wikipedia describes above. I don't TRY to make him dependent on me. And it is certainly my intention to help him move along the attachment spectrum at an age-appropriate rate (GEEZ that was a little too social-workery even for me!). But I am woman enough to admit that he can melt my heart in an instant. Like his greeting for me every afternoon when I pick him up from daycare. He squeezes my neck so tight and pats his little hands on my back. Yup...melting....

He suckered me in last night. After a full day at my mom's house the boys fell asleep on the way home. I could just kick myself for not packing their pajamas which meant that I had to wake them up to potty and do a quick change-a-roo before shuffling them off to bed. He is normally very good about his bedtime routine and I don't hear a peep out of him once I close the door, but last night wasn't routine and...YIKES. So I laid down in bed with him for a few minutes and every time he would doze off a little bit and I would start to inch away he would reach out one arm, loop it around my neck, and literally pull me back into him. He wanted me squished up against him. Cheek to cheek. And honestly, there was no other place I would rather be!

I'm not sure if it is because he is my baby or if it's because Justin is already showing more independence than I am ready for, but lately I am spending more and more time basking in the love of little Leo. For I know that all too soon he will ask me not to walk him into school or be embarrassed by me (WHAT? MOI???) in his teenage years.

But today, I'm the mama of a mama's boy.

And I like it.

Maybe it's time for another....

No comments:

Post a Comment